MacBooks are popular among laptop users for their design, features, and performance. If you’re a MacBook lover, you may be wondering, are MacBooks waterproof?
Here are some facts about the relationship between MacBook’s and water. Most of these facts should give you a good idea of whether MacBook’s can withstand liquid damage. Spoiler alert: they can, with a few caveats. Keep reading to learn more!
Are MacBooks waterproof?
The short answer is: no, MacBooks are not waterproof. But they are water-resistant! Your MacBook can withstand light exposure to water, such as rain or accidental spills.
However, water resistance is not the same as waterproofing. Waterproofing means that an item is entirely impervious to water, no matter how long or how much exposure it has to water. Waterproofing is a feature found in some phones and other electronics, but not in MacBooks.
What about waterproof cases for MacBook’s?
There are a few different companies that make waterproof cases for MacBooks. These cases are designed to protect your MacBook from water damage in an accident.
While these cases can be helpful, it’s important to remember that they are not foolproof. If your MacBook falls into water while it is in a waterproof case, there is a good chance that it will still get damaged. Waterproof cases are a good option if you want an extra layer of protection, but they should not be relied upon as the sole method of waterproofing your MacBook.
6 different types of water damage that can occur to a MacBook
- Water from a shower
5 things to avoid if your MacBook comes into contact with water
- Don’t turn on your MacBook if it is wet.
- Avoid drying your MacBook with a hairdryer or other heating device.
- Never use paper towels to clean it.
- Don’t put your MacBook in the oven!
- Try not to let it sit in direct sunlight.
7 steps to fix a wet MacBook
- Disconnect the power supply and any other external devices.
- Turn your MacBook upside down and shake it gently to remove any water from the keyboard.
- Use a soft, dry cloth to wipe down the outside of your MacBook.
- Use a can of compressed air to blow any remaining water out of the ports.
- If your MacBook has a removable battery, take it out and let it dry separately.
- Put your MacBook in a dry, safe place and let it air out for 24-48 hours.
- If your MacBook still isn’t working after following these steps, contact Apple Support or take it to an authorized service provider.
How to protect your MacBook from water damage
There are a few things you can do to protect your MacBook from water damage:
- Use a waterproof case.
- Avoid exposing your MacBook to excessive moisture.
- Please don’t use it in the rain or other wet conditions.
- Please keep it away from liquids.
- Wipe up spills immediately
Tips for using your MacBook in damp environments
If you live in a humid or rainy climate, or if you’re planning to use your MacBook in such an environment, there are a few things you can do to protect it from moisture:
- Keep your MacBook safe from dust and moisture by storing it in a Ziploc bag or plastic container.
- Don’t use a laptop in a humid environment (e.g. inside a car).
- Use a Mac-compatible stylus (like Apple’s Pencil) to avoid ruining your screen.
- Use a laptop sleeve that has a built-in stand.
- Put a paper towel or cloth on your computer to keep it dry.
Although there are no guarantees, the MacBook is at least water-resistant. Apple has even advertised the device as being “splash-proof.” If you’re careful and take preventative measures, your MacBook should be safe from most liquid accidents.
However, if you do find yourself in a situation where your laptop takes on water, don’t wait to try and fix it. Bring it in for service right away, and you may be able to save it. So far, we’ve seen that the MacBook is pretty resilient in liquids. But remember, nothing is 100% waterproof!
For more articles, Visit here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I spill water on my MacBook?
If you do spill water on your MacBook, be sure to dry it off as soon as possible to prevent any damage.
Can I use my MacBook in the shower?
No, you should not use your MacBook in the shower. The steam from the battery can damage the electronics in your MacBook.
Can I take my MacBook swimming?
No, it would help if you did not take your MacBook swimming. The water can damage it.